Postdoc in Biophysics, Biocomplexity, Universal Biology
We are looking for a talented, highly motivated and creative scientist who is interested in exploring questions at the interface between physics and biology.
The project aims at uncovering universal characteristics and laws in life systems, in particular in adaptation, development, and evolution with the spirit of theoretical physics, by focusing on consistency between hierarchical levels – molecules, cells, organisms, and ecosystem.
Abut the candidate
The ideal candidate will have a strong theoretical physics background, in particular statistical physics and dynamical systems. Previous knowledge of biology is not necessarily required, although high motivation to understand a life system with willingness to learn is needed. Our research project is theoretical, by taking analytical, numerical, or data-driven approaches, with possible collaboration with experimental groups.
- The project is part of the research project “Universal Biology”, led by Professor Kunihiko Kaneko financed by Novo Nordisk Foundation.
- The postdoc’s duties will include research as well as teaching. The post may also include performance of other duties.
We are part of the Center for Models of Life in the Biocomplexity section at the Niels Bohr Institute. For more details of the project, see http://chaos.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/UBNBI/UBNBI-KK.pdf and for the flavor of Universal Biology studies, please also refer to some of KK’s publications http://chaos.c.u-tokyo.ac.jp/study/study-list.html or google-scholar page ).
Kaneko is moving to NBI, May 2022, from University of Tokyo, while keeping the international collaboration with the Universal Biology Institute therein (https://park.itc.u-tokyo.ac.jp/UBI/ubi_e.html ).
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
- Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
- Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
- The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vitae
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan – description of current and past research and your vision about how your experience further the Universal Biology project described above (2-3 pages)
- Complete publication list
- 2-3 reference letters
The deadline for applications is November 30, 2021, 23:59 GMT +1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Deadline for applications: 30-11-2021
The inquiry about the position can be sent to Prof. Kunihiko Kaneko: email@example.com.
The position is open from 1 May 2022 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The duration of the position two years with a possible extension.